Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lets begin

I have begun Quake 2 development in order to familiarize myself with the famous open source id tech-2 game engine. Why quake 2? I initially wanted to develop for doom but could not find the source for the doom's engine (id tech-1)that could be complied on my computer (windows 7). The id tech-2 source available on github https://github.com/id-Software/Quake-2 will not compile on my computer. I was able to find another link to the id tech-2 source that will compile on my computer with microsoft visual studio 2008 from this website http://fabiensanglard.net/quake2/index.php which provides this link : ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake2.zip. The website which provides this link also provides troubleshooting help which i had to utilize. However, in addition to those troubleshooting steps I also had to manually tell each project under the solution where the include directory for the direct x sdk was. This is accomplished by right clicking each project Properties>>C/C++ and pasting the absolute path to my directX sdk include directory. Mine looks like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include". When I built the project The executable was one directory higher than the directory of the source itself. To start the game just paste the baseq2 folder from you copy of the quake 2 game (i got mine from steam)into the same directory that the executable is in. Now that I have the source and resources I can begin modifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment